[mythtv-users] fundamental inconsistency betwen Qt3 and Qt4

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 04:38:19 UTC 2008

In my continuing quest to get a working 0.21-fixes on my intel osx
frontend, I believe I have discovered the source of the problem with
the osx-packager.pl script.

Line 229 of the script
(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/contrib/OSX/osx-packager.pl)
contains the url for obtaining the  Qt source:
'http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-mac-free-3.3.8.tar.gz'

Clearly this is fetching Qt version 3.

However, in the configure script for compiling mythtv
(src/mythtv-svn/mythtv/configure), on line 1960, there is clearly a
test for Qt4:

is_qmake4(){
    $1 --version 2>&1 | grep -q "Qt version 4"
}

if ! is_qmake4 $qmake; then
    is_qmake4 qmake-qt4 && qmake=qmake-qt4 || die "qmake for Qt4 not
found. Please specify the correct qmake with --qmake="
fi

When I do qmake --version, on the qmake that was downloaded by
osx-packager.pl using the url above, I get:
Qmake version: 1.07a (Qt 3.3.8)
Qmake is free software from Trolltech ASA.

So, when http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/README
clearly states:
"MythTV is not compatible with QT v4.0 or above."
and the script clearly downloads QT v3.3.8, _why on earth_ would you
perform a check for QT version 4 in the configure script??!!

With this inconsistency, I don't see any way to build 0.21-fixes...