[mythtv-users] The purpose of a Secondary Backend is...

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 18:03:39 UTC 2008

2008/6/20 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> Database server can be on any machine that's accessible via the network
> (i.e. need not be on any backend or frontend).
>
>> I was interested to know if a Secondary Backend could run independently from the Master. EG, can you switch on the Secondary to watch something it recorded without having to have the Master on?
>>

> No.
>
>> I think I have found that you can't do that, it needs to see the database to be able to run, is that correct?
>>

> Definitely true.  It also needs the master backend for some stuff.

I was thinking about making backend/frontend out of my frontend-only
system and I was hoping not have to run one additonal computer because
of I want to watch recordings on slave backend.

What can happen if I start slave backend without running master? Slave
will be recognized as master? Which problems could occur?