[mythtv-users] Nvidia nFORCE motherboards . . . anyone try them?

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 23:30:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A little off topic, but something you might want to know and if anyone
> has a solution to this, I'd love to hear it.
>
> I have two PATAs and one SATA on the board. One odd thing on my
> GA-M68SM-S2 is that the SATA drive either doesn't show up, or gets
> rearranged in the boot order, on cold boot. I don't know why. In my
> setup, I have Linux on a PATA drive and windows on a SATA drive.
> Originally, I placed the SATA drive as the first drive. Well, on cold
> boot that drive doesn't exist or is down the list of drives to boot
> (the boot order is rearranged so the SATA is at the bottom.) and the
> bios tried to boot another drive To circumvent that, I placed the PATA
> drive with Linux as the first drive in the list to boot, and entered
> an item in grub.conf to boot windows from the SATA drive (if I needed
> to boot into windows.) However, as I said, on cold boot, the SATA
> drive doesn't seem to exist so if I choose "windows" to boot from the
> grub menu, it can't find the drive. So, I have to reboot, and then the
> drive is found and I can boot into windows.
>
> As I said, a little off topic; something you should know; and if
> anyone has ideas for a solution, I'm all ears.
>
> --
> Brad Fuller
> www.bradfuller.com

Saw this on the newegg reviews: "Head-scratcher - I couldn't get the board
to boot the sata hard drive from cold start. I searched and finally found
the reason. After a bios update, you need to load the optimized defaults in
the bios. I did that, rebooted then went in and made my bios tweaks. All was
well after that."
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128065