[mythtv-users] Cannot locate your home directory. Please set the environment variable HOME or MYTHCONFDIR

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 22 12:02:48 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Are you exporting it (set HOME, do not set MYTHCONFDIR).
>> I either run mythbackend directly, from my terminal window, which works.
>>
>> Or I run it using the fedora/redhat SysV startup scripts, using `service
>> mythbackend start`. In the SysV case mythbackend complains, even when I
>> start it as root, with valid $HOME, etc.
>> Even specifying these (as asked by mythbackend in the log) in
>> /etc/sysconfig/mythbackend, which is read by the startup script, does
>> not help.
>
> Are you using the mythbackend start scripts that Nick Morrott worked
> on?  I think they're a standard part of the ATrpms packages.  They're
> the (fedora) ones at
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts
> .

I am using the svn ones for 21-fixes, of course.
mysql.txt ends up in /.mythtv instead of /root/.mythtv or in a user's
homedir when using the spec files from the wiki.
Yes, this is in *fixes*.
It's not called 'stable' but is considered stable.
In certain areas there are issues still unaddressed.

Also the tickets get closed too easily:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5267#comment:14

as if the problem goes away that way. We, users, which are forbidden to
use trunk, are suppesed to use that stuff on our reasonable distro's.

No, this is not a rant. And please don't start about my knowledge of
english language.
These are issues to be worked on. And should have been worked on.

Yes, this means I have mythbackend running again.