[mythtv-users] Problem: LiveTV ok, recordings are crappy

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 22 14:51:48 UTC 2008

On Sunday 22 June 2008 08:29:08 Nick Morrott wrote:

> As you have 2 DVB-T tuners, it's highly likely that LiveTV and
> scheduled recordings are using different tuners. In LiveTV (where you
> don't see any problems) change to the other tuner's input (you can do
> this via the OSD menu) and see if you start to see the same types of
> problems you see in your scheduled recordings. Under normal
> circumstances, MythTV will use the first capture card input configured
> (highest recording preference) for scheduled recordings, and the last
> input configured (lowest recording preference) for LiveTV.
>
> Based on your report, it is very likley that the signal levels to the
> two tuners are different, and that the tuner for LiveTV has a stronger
> signal than the tuner being used first for scheduled recordings. A
> simple test is to schedule 2 recordings at the same time on different
> channels (and on different multiplexes if you have multirec enabled to
> make sure different physical tuners are used). Another test is to
> watch LiveTV and enable Picture in Picture when both tuners will be
> used at the same time, and see if you have any problems.
>
> When using DVB/ATSC tuners, picture breakup/green blocks/freezes/audio
> pops are indicative of poor signal quality - so this needs to be
> checked first. If you swap over the RF flyleads into your 2 USB
> tuners, do you now see perfect recordings but poor LiveTV?

I believe the behavior you describe is controlled by a setup option
called "avoid conflicts between live TV and recordings" (or something like
that). Without that option being set Myth starts either recordings or live TV
with the first tuner.

It's possible Paolo changed that setting when he upgraded.

Otherwise my question would be why would an OS and Myth upgrade change the way
his system behaved?

But recording profiles mean nothing with DVB, so a change of this setting
might be the only answer to this problem.

beww