[mythtv-users] Spinning down drives to save power

Rick Hudson rick at kpo.org.nz
Sun Jun 22 22:28:41 UTC 2008

On 22/06/2008 11:56 p.m., Jan Ceuleers wrote:

> Rick Hudson wrote:
>> I seem to recall that on recent versions of Linux, hdparm -S doesn't even work
>> on ATA drives because of the change in control path. e.g. on my Ubuntu 8.04
>> backend the media drive is an ATAPI drive but Ubuntu sees it as /dev/sda and
>> must be controlled using the SCSI interface.
>
> For what it's worth, my SATA drives are also seen as /dev/sd[a-f] and
> can be controlled using hdparm. Specifically, hdparm -S does indeed
> work. That's on stock Ubuntu 7.10, which uses a kernel derived from 2.6.22.

You're right - hdparm -S /dev/sdx does work if the drive is PATA but not if
it's a USB drive. In fact when I look at the start-up scripts for my myth box
it does indeed use hdparm to set the drive shutdown down.

Sorry for the mis-information!

--
Rick Hudson
http://www.kpo.org.nz/                                        rick at kpo.org.nz