[mythtv-users] Clean OS procedure

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Sun Jun 22 23:14:27 UTC 2008

David Watkins wrote:
> On 19/06/2008, jonny Linux <jonnylinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 9Hi,
>>

>>> - Run setup to configure capture cards etc
>>> - Tell myth where recordings and videos are
>>>    I don't use default locations
>> If you're using mysqldump to get a database backup, the above two lines will
>> be overwritten when you restore the database. Assuming you're using the same
>> mountpoints for your recordings/videos as you do now, you won't need to do
>> this. Similarly with restoring capture cards, if they have the same /dev
>> files, you shouldn't need to run setup.
>>
>> If you do run setup, make sure you've restored the database first.
>>
>>>    Can't remember where the bit to tell Myth these things is, but I'm
>>> sure I'll find it
>>> - Restore Database
>>>    I saw a few lines on how to do this on a Mythbuntu wiki page I think
>>>
>>> Am I missing anything?
>>>
>> I usually like to take a copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, just in case I can't
>> get the video card drivers to install. Also, I like to copy /var/www/html,
>> mainly for mythweb (which will get regenerated when you install it), but
>> occasionally I store other files in there too.
>
> I copy the whole of /etc
>
> There's always something in there that I've had to tweak and have
> forgotten about (autofs, httpd, smb, ...)

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the long time it's taken me to
respond. I've been away for a few days.

So, my updated procedure is this:
- Back up database
- Back up relevant bits
	Lirc config
	xorg.conf
	/etc
- Install Ubuntu, 64bit version
	I'll clean out the root and home partition, but keep the partition
- Check that my network settings and hostname are exactly as I had them
before this clean install
- Add Mythbuntu
- Restore Database

One issue I have with the above ..
As I'll be using a brand new shiny system, I feel like I should use Myth
with the default settings (deinterlacers etc) rather than using all my
old settings which were for an old machine. Is there a way to just use
the recordings and videos data without overwriting other myth defaults?
The flip side of this would probably be all the internal key bindings
that I've set up. Maybe I should just use my old database file and set
things like the deinterlacings back to default values manually.

Ah, video artwork is another thing I've just thought of. I'll have to
find that cover art folder out and back it up.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll be going to Glastonbury Festival in a
couple of days and then building the machine when I get back. The
hardware is all beside my desk just waiting to be inserted.

Damian