[mythtv-users] `Mythbackend leaks memory` continued

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Mon Jun 23 01:26:30 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
>> I'm not a myth developer, but I am a software developer who has used
>> valgrind a lot, including on projects bigger than myth.
>

> I suspect this is quite frustrating for Udo. He recently started a
> long thread in which he was criticised for not running valgrind to
> support a bug ticket that he filed (and I joined in briefly).

> Now you are saying valgrind is the wrong tool. I feel a bit sorry for
> Udo if that is the case.

I don't. He has consistently evaded giving useful answers to questions
and as far as I can follow it, doesn't understand memory management in
Linux at all. The numbers that he was picking as "evidence" (40% of the
system memory) as far as I am concerned were the virtual size of the
process which is not a good indicator of how much memory the process is
actually using.

Udo, post the mythbackend line from top after restarting the backend and
then incrementally every 30 minutes (or whatever increment you feel
adequate to display the issue). In the meantime allow some recordings to
happen, buffers to be allocated and free'd etc. Then post the results
for the knowledgable users on this list to decipher and let you know if
you have anything to worry about.

Johan.