[mythtv-users] Compatibility with HDTV card

Harry Orenstein holists at verizon.net
Mon Jun 23 03:13:17 UTC 2008

On Sunday 22 June 2008 10:47:21 pm Brian Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 22 June 2008 20:38:36 Harry Orenstein wrote:
> > My only theory is that mythbackend is trying to access the card during
> > the startup process while the drivers are loading, sometimes during the
> > firmware load, which causes the firmware interrupt error messages.  I
> > have tried to change the start priority of mythbackend from 86 (per
> > Axel's script) to 96 (as late as I thought appropriate), but that does
> > not fix the problem.
>
> You could possibly prove (or disprove) your theory by starting mythbackend
> manually after everything's booted up.
>
> You might try starting the backend with rc.local with a sleep before the
> startup if need be, so everything's had a chance to come up.
>
> If that works I guess it'd be a "workaround", not a fix.
>
> beww

Brian,

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried disabling the init script for mythbackend
and then doing a manual start after boot.  It works the same as a restart -
the firmware loads and the cardinput is available in mythfrontend.

I would prefer not to do a workaround.  I think a sleep would be worst of all
(I'd hate for my boot process to take any longer - Fedora with KDE is slow
enough!).  I cannot believe that no one else is running this card on a Fedora
system.  I'm hoping someone out there has a more permanent solution.

But I do appreciate your help.   ;-)

-- Harry O.