[mythtv-users] Screensaver disabling

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Jun 23 03:48:48 UTC 2008

Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com
> <mailto:bill at bbqninja.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jerrymr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > I've searched for the answer to this question, but have only
>     found solutions
>     > to similar problems, not any that help with mine.  I'm sure it's
>     something
>     > trivial that I'm overlooking.
>     >
>     > After ten minutes, the screen blanks.  Using the remote or the
>     keyboard
>     > wakes it up.  I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron w/ gnome desktop, Myth
>     > 0.21-fixes.  I've disabled both the screensaver and power management
>     > preferences through the desktop for the account that runs
>     mythfrontend.  I
>     > have the system set to autologin that account.  The .dmrc runs a
>     session
>     > which runs a script that has a /usr/bin/xset -dpms in it.  But
>     still with
>     > the blanking after ten minutes.
>     >
>     > Thanks for any pointers,
>     > Jerry
>
>     While watching movies, or while at the main screen?
>
>     I'm running hardy and it does that at the main screen, which is (IMO)
>     desirable....
>
>     If you run mythfrontend from the command line you can see the DPMS
>     calls.  Perhaps it is turning it back on after you watch one video?
>

> It only blanks when the machine is idle/in the menu, not when a video
> is playing.  If I start up the frontend and let it sit there, before
> I've watched any video, it will blank after ten minutes.
>
> The reason I don't want it to blank is that it makes it look like the
> TV isn't on and it's easy to forget to turn it off.
>
> I'll try running it from the command line. and see what happens.

Simple, but alternative, solution would be to start up xscreensaver.
MythTV will fire off xscreensaver when the system sits idle at an OSD
menu, but it will disable xscreensaver when you are watching TV, videos,
etc.

That way, you get both the effect of saving your screen (TV/Computer)
from potential burn-in and it will be extremely obvious the screen has
been left on. :)

-Rich