[mythtv-users] Apple TV FE with DVD Player?

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 05:06:50 UTC 2008

> >While the AppleTV can not render 1080p content, it can certainly
> >output 1080p video. There a difference between video content
> >resolution and video display resolution.
>
> Hmmm.   I can think of a couple of different ways to interpret this
> statement in practice.   It looks like you found a pocket of
> ignorance in my head.  :-)    Would you be willing to elaborate or
> point me at a source of more information?

The AppleTV only really handles 720p, it will connect to a tv @ 1080i or
1080p but the video renderer only handles video as 720p, or that is what I
gathered reading the various docs from apple and from various hacksites,

> So if I want to have an external DVD player and an MS USB mce IR R/R
> I'll need a hub so that I can connect them both.   Hubs are very
> inexpensive though.

in short Yes.

I havent started on the linux install route, I am still playing around with
PatchSticks and adding 3rd party apps to the apple OS on it. Tonite I did
make a little further headway by installing a uPNP client software on it,
and it successfully found my mythserver, and displayed the contents, at
least the file names. through some testing found it streamed my xvid encoded
content great, but my mpeg2 content which is most of my recorded content,
and my dvdiso that I use instead of encoding dvds with menus and extra
content I want to keep intact did not play. but they were listed in the
menu, so that if maybe I loaded the right codecs to it, they might just be
playable,

But I am finding that everything is not as hard as it seems when you total
it all up. there are alot of good guides and howtos, out there, and alot of
knowledgable people thinking about using this thing to its fullest. Good
Luck in your Hacking