[mythtv-users] IR blaster problems

Tony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:41:55 UTC 2008

On 6/23/08, Ray Whiteman <ray.whiteman at consultant.com> wrote:
> Just a suggestion, which port on the MCE receiver are you using?

I've tried both ports.  I've also tried another IR emitter (the
dual-ended one that came with my Tivo years ago), and it doesn't work
either.

>  I recall that only one of the ports is coded to work properly, pretty sure
>  it is port # 1. At least in the version of LIRC I have that is the way
>  it is.

irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 and SET_TRANSMITTERS 2 both run without
generating any error messages.  Any other number (0,3,4 ,etc) and it
will complain.

> Do you have your lircd.conf configured properly with the codes you want
> to send? Essentially you should have two remote definitions, one for the
> receiver and one for the blaster.

My lircd.conf is pretty simple.  I downloaded the config for the
Motorola VIP 1200 box from lirc.org, and that's the only remote
defined in it.  The only change I've made is to replace the words like
"ONE" for the numeral "1".  Like I said, I can fire up irw, point the
real Motorola remote at the receiver and it detects the button presses
properly, so I know at least the receiver portion of the box is
working.

When this is all working properly, the IR receiver box is going to get
hooked up to the backend that's stuck down in the basement, and I only
need the blaster(s) to work.  That's why there's only 1 remote in the
lircd.conf file.

> Feel free to post your lircd.conf and your channel change script if you
> like, and I will compare to mine....

At the moment, I'm not using any channel changing script; I'm just
using irsend at the command line to try to get the STB to do
something, anything.  Here's the gist of what I've tried:

irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1
irsend SEND_ONCE Motorola_VIP_1200 INFO

or

irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 2
irsend SEND_ONCE Motorola_VIP_1200 2
irsend SEND_ONCE Motorola_VIP_1200 5
irsend SEND_ONCE Motorola_VIP_1200 1

I know that in a channel changing script, there should be some sleep
time between sending buttons, but I can't type that fast at the
command line.  I've also tried all the combinations for
SET_TRANSMITTERS: 1, 2, 1 2, 2 1.

Thanks for the suggestions.
-- Tony  brummett at gmail.com