[mythtv-users] Apple TV FE with DVD Player?

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 16:11:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Jeff Walther <trag at io.com> wrote:

> I've been reading the postings about using the Apple TV as a Front
> End with great interest.
>
> Then I looked at the Apple TV more closely on Apple's site and it
> does not appear to have a DVD drive.  I guess you're meant to get all
> your media on line, which seems a little silly to me, but what do I
> know about marketing (answer:  very little).
>
> I've got a Apple TV as a front end, as well as a Mac Mini (and various
other front ends including ones I've built, and old laptops with broken
screens).

First off - I'm far from being a computer expert - and Scott's guides made
installing Linux and Myth on the ATV really easy - it's more like following
a recipe than 'hacking'.  He's done all the hard work for you.

Secondly - I would recommend the ATV as an occasional front end (for a
bedroom / kitchen), but I would not recommend it as a 'main' frontend
(living room, media room).  It plays back just fine, but the lack of memory
and the slower CPU means that there is a lag after keypresses, etc which can
get annoying after a while.  If you're going to start adding DVD drives, etc
- I would strongly recommend getting a Mac Mini instead.  They are
completely silent, and have the same look as the ATV.  THere's a DVD drive
on the Mac, and although I rip most content - it is nice being able to pop
something into the drive if a friend brings something over, rather than
walking upstairs to the server.

It's all about economics - $229 for a slow, slightly limited frontend vs.
$599 for an awesome frontend.