[mythtv-users] Apple TV FE with DVD Player?

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Mon Jun 23 18:02:51 UTC 2008

>Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:34:24 -0400
>From: "Scott D. Davilla" <davilla at 4pi.com>

>>   >Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:43:26 -0400
>>>From: "Scott D. Davilla" <davilla at 4pi.com>

>>>While the AppleTV can not render 1080p content, it can certainly
>>>output 1080p video. There a difference between video content
>>>resolution and video display resolution.
>>
>>Hmmm.   I can think of a couple of different ways to interpret this
>>statement in practice.   It looks like you found a pocket of
>>ignorance in my head.  :-)    Would you be willing to elaborate or
>>point me at a source of more information?
>
>There's only one way. You have video content resolution and you have
>video display resolution. They are independent. It's an easy concept,
>for example, one uses an HDHomeRun to record 480p, 720p or 1080i
>video content. That's the native size of the video content.
>
>Now I can play that video content on different sized video displays.
>So 480p content played to a display running at 720p and so on.
>
>So there is nothing that prevents play 480p, 720p and 1080i mpeg2
>content to a AppleTV that is driving a display at 1080p.
>
>The AppleTV cannot render 1080p content to any display resolution.

Ah, thank you for the very clear explanation.   That was the
interpretation I was hoping not to read, but I don't think it is a
huge stumbling block.    So, if I have 1080p content stored on my
backend, it cannot be played/rendered by the AppleTV.    However, my
understanding is that there isn't that much 1080p content available
yet.  Is that correct?

Can 1080p content be converted by the backend into something less
beautiful and therefore playable by the ATV, such as 1080i or 720p?

If I build a front end from scratch are there minimum specs listed
somewhere for equipment to render 1080p?

I've been considering the AMD dual core processors in the range
between the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4 GHz) and the Athlon 64 X2 5200+
(2.7 GHz) with some kind of Nvidia based motherboard.   Or the Intel
E2160 (dual core 1.8 GHz) or E7200 (dual core 2.53 GHz) in some kind
of Intel based motherboard, based on discussion which suggests that
the Intel drivers are giving good support for XvMC now.

Jeff Walther