[mythtv-users] Apple TV FE with DVD Player?

BP lists at qucae.com
Tue Jun 24 06:00:55 UTC 2008

Jeff Walther wrote:

> (2.7 GHz) with some kind of Nvidia based motherboard.   Or the Intel
> E2160 (dual core 1.8 GHz) or E7200 (dual core 2.53 GHz) in some kind
> of Intel based motherboard, based on discussion which suggests that
> the Intel drivers are giving good support for XvMC now.
>
> Jeff Walther

Be careful with Intel integrated graphics.  The G35 support is still
flaky.  I set up a system last week and had to compile video drivers
from the x-org svn trunk to get workable video.  The 2.2.x and 2.3.0
released drivers are not stable (often display a black screen) and when
they do work, display the horizontal resolution off by two or three.
Compiled from trunk, the drivers have been stable and display properly,
but I'm not getting any 3d acceleration.  That just might be my not
fully understanding how to build everything properly. I'm confident
they'll have everything running well soon, it's more a factor of how
long it takes the distributions to include the newer drivers.

This thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=647449&page=13)
details some of the issues people have been having.

I think most of the research I did stated that the older Intel video
work well with the current drivers.

As for the AppleTV, I love mine.  It's a great little quiet front end.
It plays all the HD I record from network tv and all my h264 encoded
ripped DVDs.  It's the perfect bedroom device. The only two things
stopping me from using one for my main tv is I don't want to give up the
color osd when xvmc is required for HD recordings and I prefer the
quicker response of a machine with more memory (the AppleTV is a little
slow navigating menus and updating status).