[mythtv-users] Datapoint: Bright House Tampa Bay to retain analog tier

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jun 24 14:46:21 UTC 2008

Alen Edwards wrote:

> David Brodbeck wrote:
>> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>>
>>> Bright House Tampa Bay is sending around an email to it's customers
>>> telling them how they're "already covered" for the DTV cutover next
>>> year, just because they had the good sense to be BHTB subscribers.
>>>

>> Comcast is saying the same thing in their ads, here, but there are
>> already rumors that they're planning on switching to digital-only in
>> some markets.
>>

> They can't switch to digital only in the US.  It is against the law.
> They can in a few years if the exemption isn't extended.  It is part of
> the ATSC law.  I don't remember how long they have to stay analog but I
> posted a message about it a few weeks ago.

Apparently, there is a loophole in that law that says that a cable
company is not allowed to drop their analog broadcast *UNLESS* they drop
*ALL* of their analog broadcasts and provide *ONLY* digital services.
(Or so I have read in a thread over at AntennaWeb.com.)

Many cable companies are seeing this as a way to rent more converter
boxes if they drop all of their analog support as most customers don't
yet have all digital TVs, customers will need the converter boxes to
continue using their old analog TVs.

I'm not sure of the details, but as I stated in another thread, RCN in
Massachusetts has already started their conversions process.  Town by
town.  The first ones should be complete early next month.  RCN is
(occasionally) running adds on their network that claims that after the
cut-over in your town, if you don't have a digital converter box on your
TV, all you'll see is *SNOW*.  From what I can tell (I don't live in one
of these areas), this may only apply to the areas where RCN only
provides a subset of its services, and not the entire channel line-up it
does in other towns.  I'm just not sure, and RCN isn't making it easy to
find out.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com