[mythtv-users] trailer.pl in MythVideo (was Re: Apple Trailer Downloader)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 24 20:49:09 UTC 2008

On 06/24/2008 03:49 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 06/24/2008 02:34 PM, John Payne wrote:
>>
>>> I really liked the Myth Apple Trailers 'plugin' but I wanted to see
>>> plot, cast, rating etc in the basic display, before I started the actual
>>> trailer.
>>>
>> Speaking of which, has anyone actually checked to see if such scripts
>> are allowed? It seems from the Apple Terms of Service (
>> http://www.apple.com/legal/terms/site.html ) linked from
>> http://www.apple.com/trailers/ that it's not allowed:
>>
>> Your Use of the Site
>> You may not use any "deep-link", "page-scrape", "robot", "spider" or
>> other automatic device, program, algorithm or methodology, or any
>> similar or equivalent manual process, to access, acquire, copy or
>> monitor any portion of the Site or any Content, or in any way reproduce
>> or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Site or
>> any Content, to obtain or attempt to obtain any materials, documents or
>> information through any means not purposely made available through the
>> Site. Apple reserves the right to bar any such activity.
>>
>> Did anyone actually contact Apple to request permission?
> He isn't doing any such thing. Apple is providing the XML data stream
> for people to use. All he is doing is parsing the data, and using it.

Regardless of what he's doing, the trailer.pl script in MythVideo's
contrib directory (i.e. the "speaking of which" of which I was
speaking--you did notice that I cut out all of the parts of his message
describing his script, right?) /is/ scraping the web site.

This time I remembered to change the subject, too.  Hope that helps.

Mike