[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Tue Jun 24 22:24:37 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 June 2008 05:25:23 steve wrote:
>
>> I would have stayed with DSL as a family member receives a substantial
>> discount on residential packages........ BUT....... port blocking, and
>> spotty service, PLUS outsourcing tech support overseas really turned me
>> off.  Not to mention the business packages which pretty much the straw
>> that broke the camels back started at $299. month.  thats just complete
>> insanity, and I made sure they were fully aware of there shortcomings
>> when I switched to TW.  10 meg, 50 bucks a month, no restrictions.
>
> Are you sure there are no restrictions? I've heard of several cases where
> service is described as "unlimited" but the cable company got uppity about a
> lot of downloads. One friend of mine was told he would be restricted to
> 10GB/month, this after he had signed up for "unlimited" service.

well, I guess I should clarify that... mail server, and web server, ssh,
ftp, etc... all work fine, havent run into any ports blocked YET.......
as far as the bandwidth, im not anywhere near 10gb month, I satisfied my
curiosity for dl distros years ago, and the sites get maybe 10 hits a
day. ventrilo server might get the bandwidth up there whenever my
youngest has his buddies over for a wowfest but that sits dormant most days.

> TW residential service may also block port 25 at least, and I think you'll
> find the agreement you signed precludes running servers.

yeah, Im a renegade... lol

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com