[mythtv-users] trailer.pl in MythVideo (was Re: Apple Trailer Downloader)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 24 22:33:17 UTC 2008

<fixed top-posting>

On 06/24/2008 06:05 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Regardless of what he's doing, the trailer.pl script in MythVideo's
>> contrib directory (i.e. the "speaking of which" of which I was
>> speaking--you did notice that I cut out all of the parts of his message
>> describing his script, right?) /is/ scraping the web site.
>>
>> This time I remembered to change the subject, too.  Hope that helps.
>>
> Still, according to what I've seen on the wiki[1], there isn't
> anything that I would deem "screen scraping" happening. I believe
> screen scraping refers to the practice of downloading the actual HTML
> of [2] and parsing it for the desired content. The XML provides a
> direct link for XML clients to do with as they wish. If Apple is going
> interpret it differently, they should reconsider putting a link to the
> files in the XML feed.
>
> Now, altering the URL to retrieve a different version (e.g. the 720p
> version) might be a different case. That is probably a little sketchy.
>
> [1] -- http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Myth_Apple_Trailers
> [2] -- http://www.apple.com/trailers/

OK, now I see the disconnect.  You (and the OP) were referring to
something completely different from what I thought when you said, "Apple
trailer plugin."  I'm talking about the script
mythplugins/mythvideo/contrib/trailer.pl , which I think should be
removed from the MythTV mythplugins distribution unless someone either
replaces it with something legal or gets Apple's permission for its
non-interactive use of their web site.

trailer.pl does /not/ use any Apple XML feed.  It uses HTML pages from
their website.

Mike