[mythtv-users] setting up Microsoft Media Center Remote on PPC debian machine

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 22:38:41 UTC 2008

Good day, all:

I just got myself a new USB windows media center remote, and I'm trying to
make it work on my eMac frontend.  I found the how-to in the wiki for
Debain, but I seem to fail when I get to the step of locating my kernel
source.  I tried to install the kernel-source package via synaptic, but the
version on the source package does not seem to match my installed kernel
version (when I do a uname -all, I get "2.6.18-6-powerpc" but the only
source package I can find is called "kernel-source-2.6.8").  I've been using
Ubuntu for over a year and a half now, and I've been running MythTV for
about 8 months, but I've been fortunate enough that all of my hardware works
with binary packages, and therefore I have little experience compiling
drivers and dealing with source code.

Of course, dealing using debian on a PPC machine for a frontend is a bit out
of the ordinary, but that's what I got and that's what I use (debian was the
first distro I found that would install and that X worked on), so if any of
you more learned MythTV geeks out there have any suggestions for how to make
it work, I'd really appreciate the advice.

Thanks, and let me know if there are any other details I can provide.

- Josh