[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 24 22:40:05 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 16:24:37 steve wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 June 2008 05:25:23 steve wrote:
> >> I would have stayed with DSL as a family member receives a substantial
> >> discount on residential packages........ BUT....... port blocking, and
> >> spotty service, PLUS outsourcing tech support overseas really turned me
> >> off.  Not to mention the business packages which pretty much the straw
> >> that broke the camels back started at $299. month.  thats just complete
> >> insanity, and I made sure they were fully aware of there shortcomings
> >> when I switched to TW.  10 meg, 50 bucks a month, no restrictions.
> >
> > Are you sure there are no restrictions? I've heard of several cases where
> > service is described as "unlimited" but the cable company got uppity
> > about a lot of downloads. One friend of mine was told he would be
> > restricted to 10GB/month, this after he had signed up for "unlimited"
> > service.
>
> well, I guess I should clarify that... mail server, and web server, ssh,
> ftp, etc... all work fine, havent run into any ports blocked YET.......
> as far as the bandwidth, im not anywhere near 10gb month, I satisfied my
> curiosity for dl distros years ago, and the sites get maybe 10 hits a
> day. ventrilo server might get the bandwidth up there whenever my
> youngest has his buddies over for a wowfest but that sits dormant most
> days.
>
> > TW residential service may also block port 25 at least, and I think
> > you'll find the agreement you signed precludes running servers.
>
> yeah, Im a renegade... lol

A lot of ISPs, especially the cable companies, block port 25 on residential
accounts. This is not so much to prevent your running a mail server as it is
to render consumer boxes unattractive to spammers since even if they can hack
into the machine they can't use it to send mail. For most users who do not
want to run a mail server this is probably an advantage, since once the bad
guys figure out that a certain ISP blocks port 25 they may stop assaulting
their customer's machines.

beww