[mythtv-users] Processor Minimum Specs

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 04:49:49 UTC 2008

John Williams wrote:

>     i'm still working on this myself :)  but i think i can lend a hand.
>     the 'recommended minimum' processor for HD is currently an Intel
>     Core2Duo @ 2.5GHz.  i say 'recommended minimum', but i don't think
>     that that's actually stated anywhere.  that's just what i've gleaned
>

> I'd also like to hear about the AMD procs. I have been an AMD guy for a
> while and while I'm not totally loyal I have had good results and am
> pretty price sensitive at this point. I would expect to be using 2 - 3
> Hard drives. all IDE. I have a 500 GB on my desk I never opened from a
> while back. and will use it and my main drive on my current machine for
> recordings in LVM.

My experience has been that it depends somewhat on the resolution you'll
be viewing at.

For my main TV which has 1280x768 resolution, I have a socket 939 X2
3800+ which doesn't even remotely break a sweat while watching 720p. It
seems to have no problem (maybe 50% on one core) for 1080i with simple
deinterlacing like linear blend or onefield. The max clock is 2 GHz and
typically it will sit at 1 GHz when watching 720p stuff. When watching
1080i it will occasionally up the clock to 1.8 GHz. I don't use XVMC. I
also don't use the more processor intensive deint.
It takes much much more processing power to watch flash movies
(Hulu/youtube) on my machine than it does to watch mpeg2 HD.

The e6750 I have in my main desktop is overkill for HD mpeg2, maybe not
for h.264 which it handles without any issues at all.

HTH
raphy