[mythtv-users] Apple Trailer Downloader

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 10:03:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM, John Payne <mythtv at payne.ch> wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 6:34 AM, John Payne <mythtv at payne.ch> wrote:
>

> It uses LWP::Simple, XML::Simple, File::Basename, DBI & DBIx:Perlish,
> which is simplifies DB access without the usual DBI overhead.
>

> Using ubuntu, can you tell me which package to apt-get to obtain
> DBIx::Perlish? running your script gives me:
>
> Can't locate DBIx/Perlish.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at bin/apple_trailer_download.pl line 9.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at bin/apple_trailer_download.pl line 9.
>

> Can't seem to find it in ubuntu.
>

> I'm afraid I can't help you there - I'm on fedora using the Mythdora
> distributon. On this and other Unixes I install modules using the Perl CPAN
> module.
> I assume there''ll be a Ubuntu package for CPAN - install that then run (as
> root) "perl -MCPAN -e shell" - you'll have to go through the initial
> configuration and select you local CPAN mirrors, then just "install
> DBIx::Perlish".
>
> Anyone else know another solution for ubuntu?

yeah I did that in the end. many perl modules that can be installed
via CPAN are also available as ubuntu packages and I like to keep
everything within the deb packaging system if I can, but I will make
exceptions like this where necessary.

a little comment: if the download of the movie file fails (say eg the
user running the script doesn't have write permissions in the
destination directory (oops) then the database entry still gets
written. Thats a bit annoying, particularly when you run it again
(properly this time) it doesn't download the failed files as it thinks
it already has them. Therefore some error checking is needed. But I am
no perl programmer, so who am i to comment anyway!

anyway, happily watching trailers.