[mythtv-users] Two frontends on one machiene

J jsweepstakes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 16:08:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Would it work for you to just have an xscreensaver that showed pictures
>> > when
>> >the frontend was idle?  Then when you went to watch TV it would just
turn
>> >off?  I think GLSlideShow is one that does this.
>>
>> I thought so, but the configuration that I want I don't want the TV on
all
>> the time but to get a few monitors and somehow wireless (if not just with
>> wires) hook them to all have the second x session on them so that they
are
>> independent of the TV
>

> Seems like it would be easier just to buy a digital photo frame rather
than
> whatever investment in time/money to rig that together...

>Depending on the desired size of the digital photo frame, a used
>laptop may not cost much more, and is a lot more versatile. Over
>simplified: just launch vncserver -geometry <screen resolution> on the
>linux side and connect to it with one of the myrid of vnc clients.  Or
>use a mythbuntu live-cd on the laptop to connect directly as a
>front-end.

Its not a bad idea.... but what about power? I've already got a machiene
that will be on always, so why not just piggy back off it...... theres got
to be a way to have to xservers running so that its can be done........ I
reamber a few months ago a guy talking about having multiple frontends on
one machiene but I never heard how it came out..... if somebody could just
help me get off the ground with the beginning (setting up two sessons, one
on each screen [I tried searching the internet]) then I can get the rest on
my own....
(thanks for all the responces so far!!!)
-J