[mythtv-users] netflix streaming on myth like xbox360?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 17:20:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Chad wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Dan Littlejohn
> > <dan.littlejohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Saw this article about setting up an xbox to stream netflix.  Is
> >> there
> >> anything going on to try and do the same thing on myth?
> >>

> http://lifehacker.com/396881/turn-your-xbox-360-into-a-streaming-netflix-player
> >>
> >> Dan

> > I don't really see it possible until Netflix decides to open up their
> > browser restrictions.
>
> You can always fake which browser is making the requests. Opera even
> has a built-in option to pretend it's IE when making requests. The DRM
> is the problem.
>
> >  I can't watch streaming netflix on anything
> > other than Internet Explorer.  Except for my Roku Netflix Box of
> > course ;)
> >
> > If you did have a Roku box you could probably slap together an HD-PVR
> > + Roku + MythTV setup where you could them stream into a "recording"
> > that could then be watched on multiple MythTV systems throughout your
> > network.
>
> Now that sounds interesting! $99 for the Roku box + $249 for an
> additional HD-PVR = movie watching joy whenever I want.

The Watch Now service is on demand.  The Roku will stream you the movie
whenever you want.  There isn't much reason to record it to Myth when it is
always available.  For that $250, you could buy 2 more Roku's if you somehow
needed to have multiple clients such that recording to Myth would even make
sense.

Kevin