[mythtv-users] New and need help with how to do this setup stuff

James Bunton jamesbunton at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 25 23:27:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 07:04:07PM -0400, C E wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am new to this list and I am thinking about migrating over to linx,
> I don't have much knowlege in this stuff and I was wondering what is
> the best option for me to move over to linx from windows xp, I have a
> adaptic dual tv tuner (USB)  I want to do this with as little down
> time and pain :-)
>
> Any one that could help me and feed back would be greate  I have a
> Dell E1505

Mythbuntu is pretty straightforward.

I'd recommend installing to a test hard drive before overwriting your
Windows install. That way if it all goes south you can keep watching TV
from Windows. Just burn a copy of the Mythbuntu CD from their website,
run the installer and see how you go.

MythTV isn't really the most user-friendly piece of software to set up,
so you're likely to run into some issues. Most likely somebody else has
already found out how to work around it though, so google is your
friend here. Once you've got it all set up and working it should stay
that way, and using it is a pleasure.

Have fun!

---

James