[mythtv-users] IR keyboards?

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 01:52:32 UTC 2008

Alen Edwards wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Phil Bridges
>> <gravityhammer at gmail.com <mailto:gravityhammer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I've seen some people here that use IR keyboards for their remote (or
>>     program a universal remote with their IR keyboard), relieveing
>>     themselves of the need to use LIRC.  I thought I'd settled down on an
>>     Adesso IR keyboard/receiver combo, but it appears that it doesn't play
>>     well with learning remotes.
>>
>>     If you are using an IR keyboard, what model are you using?
>>

>> This one:
>> http://www.pctekonline.com/skcomwirkeyw.html
>>
>> How-to:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Programming_Remotes_as_Keyboards
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> I just ordered this keyboard per your recommendation.   Be aware that
> they charge $12 for shipping -- kind of high imo.  In any event, I am
> planning on just pointing the thing at my MX-500 learning remote that I
> use to control my system.  I like the idea of having a keyboard to do
> web surfing as well as bypassing LIRC.
>
> Any reason why that would not work?
>
> Allen

None that I can think of. I have that exact same model keyboard also. I
programmed a simple Sony learning remote to use the keyboard keys and it
works extremely well. I had an old Phillips universal remote I was using
with LIRC, and it had real trouble learning the keyboard so I continued
with LIRC for a while. The remote I just got had no issues learning any
key I wanted and also, surprisingly, with zero lag, something the old
philips remote also was bad about.
I've got a menu item in myth that is set to launch firefox and go to the
hulu page; the keyboard works pretty well for some light browsing.