[mythtv-users] pvr150

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 02:07:23 UTC 2008

steve wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 7:00 PM, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>> Was wondering if someone could briefly explain why when running cable
>>> directly into a pvr150 myth allows you to watch and record encrypted
>>> channels?  I thought the stb had to decode it first?
>>>
>>> I know the channels are encrypted as when I scan with an hdhomerun I get
>>> 4 local channels not encrypted, all the rest are, or at least it says
>>> they are.
>>>
>> Because you are picking up analog channels with the pvr150 and digital
>> channels with the hdhomerun. There is no encryption with analog only
>> digital.
>>
>> John
>
> got it..... I guess I always thought everything was encrypted across
> cable except locals.  thanks.

Used to be somewhat the opposite of that, and may still be in a few
places actually. As in, when I had comcast five years ago, nothing was
encrypted - it all came down the line in analog form, and to stop you
from viewing channels you hadn't paid for they simply had filters on the
line. Since channels correspond to certain frequencies they literally
just filtered them out of the signal. When I got HBO, Stars, etc., all
those premium channels that are now all normally encrypted, they simply
removed the corresponding filter. The signal that came through was
analog (thus unencrypted) and could be freely recorded with a PVR150. No
STB was needed to view those, I just had the cable plugged right into
the back of my TV.
Maybe if you have analog only cable and ask to order premium channels
without an STB this could still be possible. Probably wishful thinking.
raphy