[mythtv-users] installing on window xp system

C E list.spiritssight at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 03:44:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:22 PM, C E <list.spiritssight at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to install the OS on a windows system, I don't mind if i
>> have to shink the size of the partiion for windows as long as I don't
>> lost any thing I do how on it which is not that much but I don't want
>> to have to go though the trouble of doing it all again as I did this
>> about 2 weeks ago becaouse of a issue it was having, any how I would
>> like to test this better and seeing the live cd is working nice it
>> should do the install as good right?
>>
>> Thanks ahead of time
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Christopher
>
> Your English is difficult to understand.
Yes my english sticks :-(  I have a few learning disabilities

> Are you saying you have a windows PC that you would like to test MythTV with by installing Linux as a dual
> boot?
This is correct

> If so, you can use a Gparted LiveCD to shrink your windows install then
> install your distro of choice and GRUB should detect your windows partition
> on install.
I did a google and it gives me what appears to be many different
gparted, could you please point me to the base on to use?

> Also, I assume this is a test box as a MythTV box really should
> be powered on all the times to get recordings.
It is my only computer, I am how ever checking it out and if I like
what I see when its installed then I am going to get ride of windows
for once and all :-)

> Not sure what your skills are on Myth/Linux but the prebuilt packages are
> much simplier to setup, such as MythBuntu, Mythdora, etc.  BUT these disks
> usally wipe the drive clean, including your Windows install, so avoid those
> and built from a basic distro.
I don't have much skills in this stuff at all as long as I have
internet doring all of this then I know I can ask questions if not
sure of some thing,  at less if I am doing it from a live cd i think I
should be able to still go online even thorugh the install.

Thanks very much for your reply, I look forward to learning more

Sincerely,
Christopher