[mythtv-users] MythTV using NAS (on a via ) using Gigabit ethernet.

Roy Lofthouse lofty69 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:34:10 UTC 2008

I've posted a couple of times regarding setting up MythTV using NAS
and I just wanted to get peoples input on a system I was thinking of
doing and whether it would work...

1 x NAS for storage, mysql, apache etc (using FreeeNAS and a dual or
quad nic system)
      Using one of the following boards with a 1.5Ghz processor:
      http://via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=610
      http://via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=570

1 x Master backend/fronend for recording/watching
2 x Frontends

The way I was thinking of setting up the backend was using two NICs
one for recording and mysql and one for everything else, and on the
NAS box have one NIC for recording and one for everything else as
well, this way the writing to the disk is done on its own gigabit
connection.

Am I right in thinking that because the sql db is on the NAS box that
the frontend would not need to see a master server up and running?

I would prefer a system that is on 24x7 but I want something that is
low powered, quite quiet and can be located somewhere out of the way
and I'm hoping this is feasible.