[mythtv-users] Playing DVD with mythbuntu 8.04

allen edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jun 26 14:44:50 UTC 2008

I have Mythbuntu 8.04  all new HW.  This is my first real myth system
after my prototype P4 system.
I followed this wiki:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/musicvideophotos/C/video.html
and issued this command:  sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

I can play DVDs

The wiki says I will not get menus, but I do.  So much for the
documentation...

Also, the wiki says something about "additional software must be
installed to allow you to view ...(other stuff)"  It then goes on to
talk about fxine, mplayer, and VLC media player.  Doesn't talk about the
internal mythtv player.

In searching the forums, I find reference to things like "of course I
installed libdvdcss and w32codecs..."  What is w32codec?  I found a page
that gives 20 different ways to install it for different distros but of
course, nothing for ubuntu 8.04.  Do I need this?

I also looked over the archives for the last 6 months for all articles
with DVD in the title.  Some help there but nothing on w32codec.

So, my question is, do I need to do anything else?

I don't want to introduce my wife to mythDVD by having the last 5
minutes of Juno refuse to play with some error message about not having
rights.

Allen