[mythtv-users] MythTV, phpMyAdmin and German umlauts

Torsten Crass torsten.crass at eBiology.de
Thu Jun 26 21:10:51 UTC 2008

Hi there,

German umlauts seem to be a recurring issue with MythTV... Actuall,
everything works fine for me (DVB-T EPG data, display in frontend etc.)
-- until I try to edit some mythconverg.recorded entry containing
umlauts in the title/subtitle/description field using phpMyAdmin.
Although the umlauts show fine in the MySQL command-line client, in
phpMyAdmin they get displayed up as funny double-characters. Example
(though I don't know whether this will survive e-mailing):

"Die größte Waldlandschaft der Erde..."

shows up as

"Die größte Waldlandschaft der Erde..."

I tried changing the affected column's and/or the connection's collation
to utf8 (which is the default locale on all my systems), but the only
change was that little boxes were displayed instead of funny characters...

Someone once said something like "At the first glance, character
encoding may look rather difficult. But in reality, it's even worse". I
tend to agree.

So any ideas, anyone?

Best Regards --

	tcrass