[mythtv-users] Anyone have spdif out through ALSA without passthrough?

allen edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jun 27 06:02:49 UTC 2008

If so, can you post your "asound.conf" file.

I have spdif working fine with passthrough but I want to have firefox
flash player output to spdif and I can't get it to work following this
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound.

For example with the config modified as below, I still get analog sound
out of flashplayer.

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

Checking my setup with "aplay -l" gives:
and card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and asound.conf is set for:

pcm.digital-hw {
  type hw
  card 0
  device 1

so all that looks correct to me.

Thinking it might be a flashplayer issue, I unchecked passthrough in
Myth Setup and sure enough, TV started playing through the analog ports
and no spdif lock.  So, even though Myth is set to ALSA:default and ALSA
default is set to digital, everything is analog.

That is why I want to see a working asound.conf file.

Allen