[mythtv-users] Jetway JNC62K

RoboJ1M jim.neave at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 27 10:12:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/6/27 Sarah Katherine Hayes <sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net>:
>
>> It looks good, however Jetway, ECS & Foxcon boards are to be avoided
>> unless their is very little alternative.
>

> Agreed, First PC had a jetway mobo, never again. (Personally, I've had good
> expeience with abit over the years.)
>
> [snip SIS]
>

>> I'm not going to bash AMD or the various chipsets that support either
>> CPU manufacturer, but to be really honest I have had zero issues, not
>> drivers, not weird issues, not even the odd 'well that's too new' with
>> Intel chipsets.
>

> I have. :) This is no reason to not use them though, they do a good
> motherboard chipset do intel. However, the current modern stuff from AMD is
> just as good. (Not so sure about nVidia stuff, that's more aimed at the high
> end gamer unles you get to the server class parts, and I often feel that
> while performance is there the reliablilty/stability isn't.)
>
> That being said, my current 'sat behind a seteee' home server has a DFI
> board with an nForce 3. (which I didn't like when it was my main windows
> machine, it just felt... flaky) and that's reliable as hell (even after the
> fan on the southbridge failed about 2 years ago.)
>
> My current myth box is a dual core AMD on an Asus board, which again I was
> not particularly happy with as my main PC. (It's an A8N-E I think; it was
> unable to maintain a reliable voltage supply to the cpu so no overclocking.)
> Now it's the myth box it has some nice features (being able to stop the CPU
> fan makes for a very quiet system.) however it's still a bit 'flaky', which
> I've not narrowed down yet, but I'm blaming the motherboard as I don't like
> it.
>
> That being said Asus do have a very good rep so I suspect I've just got a
> baddun!
>
> I think any midrange board from a well respected mobo maker will be fine
> though. Dont' go for super high end as they tend to sacrifice stability over
> features, and low end probably aren't up to running something as demanding
> as myth.
>
> FWIW  I just built someone a HTPC (Running windows though) using a small
> AMD 708G mobo and a tri core phenom, and that was a lovely little setup,
> although for myth that would mean dealing with teh ATI drivers. :|
>
> That's admitidly on three laptops not desktops, but
>> hey, universal chipsets (give or take).   Curiously the only board to
>> come close to that level of 'just works' is a Soltek 'shuttle-esque'
>> machine with an old nForce 2 chipset; I couldn't tell you if this is
>> true of more modern nvidia boards or not though.
>>

> In my eperience consumer nvidia stuff is geared towards performance more
> than stability. That could be just the drivers though. (I've a motherboard
> that will blue screen windows if you disable the on board lan.)

Interesting, if I have the choice I will only buy ATI (or Intel) graphics
chips because of their serious support of open source drivers (as well as
there now serious support of improving their closed source drivers as well,
they're now even providing linux drivers on disk in the box! 8@)
Hopefullly buy the time I have the money for all this a 780G mini-itx board
will be out. *dribbles*  8)~

How times change, eh?

In my decade of PC building experience I too have sworn by the rule of
spend-the-money-on-the-board-and-the-psu.

I've found:

1) Cheap board + Cheap PSU = BAD
2) Good board + Cheap PSU = BAD
3) Good board + Good PSU = GOOD

But I have yet to try:

4) Cheap board + Good PSU = ????

Asrock. I know a man who owns an Asrock board with an Enermax PSU and he
says it's flawless.
Although I realise that Asrock, although a budget manufacturer, is a sister
company of one of the good manufacturers.

J1M.