[mythtv-users] Thinking of switching distros - from Gentoo to Mythbuntu

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 15:11:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/27/2008 09:57 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Norm Dugas wrote:
>>
>>> I've been running Gentoo since it pretty much came out but lately, I've
>>> been thinking of switching distros.  I've run Kubuntu on one desktop for
>>> quite a while and was quite impressed.  I'm thinking of switching both
>>> my backend and my frontend to keep things in sync.  Besides making a
>>> backup of the database, is there anything else that can come and bite me
>>> in the butt?  The OS disk would get a complete reinstall and the 8 myth
>>> disks would remain intact and be mounted in the same location they
>>> currently are.
>>>
>> be forewarned that Mythbuntu is not designed for *dedicated* frontends
>> as it requires you to run a window manager
>
> You should be running a window manager on /any/ system that uses X and
> windows--that includes a dedicated MythTV box that never spawns any
> external GUI applications, too, as MythTV uses windows.
>
> Note that GNOME and KDE and xfce are /not/ window managers.  They are
> desktop environments (and, really, there's no need for either of them on
> a dedicated MythTV frontend).  IIRC, MythBuntu is running xfce, so I'll
> agree that xfce is unnecessary, though when it comes to DE's, xfce is a
> /much/ lighter-weight alternative to GNOME and KDE, so it's the lesser
> of 3 evils.
>
> I'd say, though, that even worse than choosing to use GNOME/KDE is
> choosing to use GNOME/KDE with Compiz as the window manager.  (I guess I
> could put a "on a dedicated Myth frontend" qualifier on that statement,
> but it seems correct even without. ;)
>
> Running with just RatPoison would be about as "clean" as it gets, but
> it--or other pure WM's, like Fluxbox or Blackbox or twm or FVWM--may not
> provide the "Ubuntu Experience" that the MythBuntu devs are trying to
> preserve.

My main frontend system (based on Kubuntu) does not run a window
manager and works fine. I don't mind running Xfce as Mythbuntu does in
the background, but what I don't like is that if the frontend dies, or
I have to restart it for whatever reason, it just drops me to the
desktop with out respawning mythfrontend like I have it on my other
dedicated frontend.

Granted, I *could* go through the setup that I did for my Kubuntu
based frontend with Mythbuntu to get it running as a true dedicated
frontend, and I'm ok with that. I just thought I'd give a little heads
up that while Mythbuntu is nice, I don't find it any much better than
going with a non-"Myth specific"distro.