[mythtv-users] Screensaver disabling

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 14:26:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Andreas <linuxdreas at launchnet.com> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 27. Juni 2008 17:20:12 schrieb Andrew Berry:
>> Do you have to do anything specific to make it wake up from the
>> screensaver when using LIRC? I ended up disabling xscreensaver because
>> it wouldn't wake up when I pressed a button on the remote.
>
> In your lircrc, you bind a key on your remote to the command that turns the
> screensaver off, for example:
>
> begin
>        prog = irexec
>        button = SELECT
>        config = "xscreensaver-command -deactivate &"
> end
>
> The program irexec must already be running (see man irexec). I use s small
> script to start it with my KDE session. (located in $HOME/.kde/Autostart):
>
> #! /bin/sh
> killall irexec > /dev/null 2>&1
> xscreensaver-command -exit
> xscreensaver &
> irexec -d
> exit
>
> --
> Gruß
> Andreas

Why would you have to do any of that?  I've never needed to.  As far
as I've ever seen , mythtv supports xscreensaver such that any
activity seen by myth (keyboard or remote) deactivates xscreensaver.
If your remote is working in mythtv, it should disable the
xscreensaver.

If you have to do anything like the above, I'm guessing that for some
reason mythtv isn't recognizing that xscreensaver is running when it
starts up.  I had some issues with that and it was because I was
launching xscreensaver in the background and then starting
mythfrontend too quickly afterwards.  I start the frontend from
/etc/inittab (with respawning enabled).  I had this in my
~/.fluxbox/startup:

/usr/bin/xscreensaver -no-splash &
exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log -v
important,general

It actually worked when I booted up because mythfrontend took slightly
longer to start, but as soon as the frontend respawned mythfrontend
would beat the screensaver to the punch and wouldn't know it was
running.  I had to add a 'sleep 2' between those two lines.

The only thing I added to my lircrc was a dummy key (that's not used
by mythtv) mapped to my remotes power button.  I have the remote
programmed to use that as the TV power and it serves no purpose in
mythtv.  That way, when I turn on the TV power xscreensaver get's
deactivated if it's running.

Tom