[mythtv-users] VMware and Myth

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 28 19:30:14 UTC 2008

On Saturday 28 June 2008 12:00:17 Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> > Mitch Gore wrote:
> > > On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 8:44 AM, greg pryzby <greg at pryzby.org
> > > <mailto:greg at pryzby.org>> wrote:

> > >     Has anyone used VMware for front-ends and backends? Any pointers?
> > >

> > > For the backend it may work but for the frontend it would not be very
> > > good.  There is no way to get direct access to the video card so
> > > playing video is difficult.  It is just a frame buffer.
> >
> > I doubt it would work for the backend, either.  VMware can't handle
> > specialized hardware very well (or at all, in some cases).
>
> I think it has a greater chance working with USB devices than PCI, that's
> for sure.

I think vmware support for USB 2.0 is experimental at this point. I am unable
to get vmware to recognize my Plextor (or my 1212, but I didn't expect it to
do that).

So that pretty much kaiboshes USB capture dvices and, as you said, PCI is very
unlikely to work.

Maybe I should try it with my HDHR? I know the ethernet works quite well with
vmware.

beww