[mythtv-users] Mac Frontend requirements for HD playback

Daniel Segel dsegel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 06:32:56 UTC 2008

I have an iMac G5 1.8GHz system that I'm trying to run Mythfrontend on. My
backend records and plays back HD content just fine with no problems at all,
but when I try to play any recorded HD content on the Mac it's very jittery
and many frames are dropped. Before I spend a lot more time on this system
I'd like to know if it's reasonable to expect this Mac to play back HD
programming in the first place.

And if not, would a newer Intel Mac Mini do the job? What's the minimum
processing/graphics power I need on a Mac to work as an effective frontend
for HD content?

Thanks,

Daniel