[mythtv-users] Anyone using front headphone and rear S/PDIF at same time?

allen edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sun Jun 29 07:29:07 UTC 2008

I have a system with an ALC883 chip.  It is advertised as a 7.1 + 2.0
system.  It also has S/PDIF out.  I was wondering if the headphone 2.0
was on all the time even when the output was S/PDIF and the 7.1 was
off.  If so, I will go buy one of the front panel modules to drive my TV
as I need S/PDIF to drive my pre-processor.  Right now I use an external
Technics processor just for the 2.0 for the TV.  It would be nice to get
rid of that box in the system.

I read the ALC883 data sheet.  I think it might just be hard wired to
work but I can't really tell.  There does not seem to be a control word
to turn off the headphone amps (except as part of a power management)
but I might have missed it.

The MB I have is an ASUS M3A.

Allen