[mythtv-users] hauppauge mediaMVP front end

Jay jay at donoghue.org
Sun Jun 29 14:53:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2008 20:01:54 mythtv at corwyn.net wrote:
>> I just have to say that the Media MVP by Hauppauge and the marvelous
>> code for the  MediaMVP Media Center (mvpmc) are just spectacular.
>>
>> $40 on ebay and about 20 minutes of configuring my MythTV server, and
>> I've got a functioning fanless MythTV frontend.  Great enough I
>> immediately went out and purchased a second for the other TV.
>>
>> And all brought to me by MythTV.
>>
>> Wow. Great work.
>
> Agreed, they are great, especially for a second set, bedroom set etc. For the
> living room I prefer a more "full-featured" frontend, but that's me.
>
> You also get a working remote, and, as you say, for less than you would spend
> for just the RAM in a conventional frontend.
>
> I'm waiting for something similar to come along that will do HD, either by
> design or a jeeped device designed for something else. I guess the Mac Mini
> or possible the Apple TV are the closest so far, but they are still pricey.
>
> beww

While it doesnt support a real Myth front end, I use a Popcorn Hour
box as an HD front end.  It support uPNP (though I dont use it.. seems
buggy) and can browse NFS/SMB shares.  Its also quite good at decoding
almost everything I've thrown at it.  Also only consumes 12W when
running (it only powers down to 7W, which is still a bit high)

Since there is no native MythTV support (though mvpmc is being ported
to this platform), I wrote a few PHP scripts that create menus for my
recordings and mythvideo.  The MediaMVP boxes are great on my SD tvs.

 - J