[mythtv-users] Screen Adjustment?

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Jun 30 03:35:29 UTC 2008

mlists wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 09:02 -0700, Alen Edwards wrote:
>
>> mlists wrote:
>>
>>> I remember seeing a new menu item that allowed me to adjust or shrink
>>> the menu screen.  In the instance of my TV being overscanned too much
>>> and not adjustable, this item allowed me to shrink the gui down a bit so
>>> I could see the tick boxes on the edge, etc.
>>>
>>> I am running trunk 16838.  But that menu item isn't there.  Which menu
>>> was it under (i.e. xml file). If I knew that then I can try and find out
>>> why that menu isn't being viewed correctly - I only have one custom menu
>>> and thats for Media Library.  The rest should be system defaulted.
>>>
>>> Norm
>>>
>> If you have an nvidia card the overscan is adjustable in the card
>> driver.  If you want details, let me know.
>>

> Yes I have an Nvidia -- please let me know -- I looked at it way back
> when but only lately has it annoyed me enough to look closer at it.
>
> Thanks
> Norm

Get into a terminal and issue this command:
nvidia-settings  -a TVOverSacn[TV-0]=2

You may have to change your device from "TV-0".  Try 'grep "(TV"
/var/log/Xorg.0.log'  and it may tell you what your device is called.

If you see the picture get very small, change the 2.  I think 10 does
nothing but I am guessing.  I use 12 as I want more overscan.

If you find something that works, you need to find some where to put it
to make it permanent.  Check out the posts on TVOverScan not working
that I started and you will find a variety of opinions on where to put
it.  I put it in /etc/gdm/Init/Default but that may not be the best
place.  It worked for me where a majority of the suggestions I got did
not work.

There is a gui for nvidia-settings with pretty slide levers.  There are
also a  nice set of instructions that go with it on what to do to make
them permanent.  However, none of that worked for me.  I am using
Mythbuntu 8.04

Allen