[mythtv-users] Mac Frontend requirements for HD playback

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 10:42:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 29 June 2008 20:25:53 James Bunton wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 05:02:22PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> > > There are Linux distros that run on PPCs, YellowDog comes to mind, I
> > > believe Debian as well.
> >
> > And Ubuntu...
> > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/8.04/release/
> >
> > I believe that since Apple dropped PPC it's community supported, but
> > it's still available and might be worth a shot.

I'm running mythfrontend on Debian on my 800mhz G4 eMac w/ 256mb of ram with
great success (SD only, of course).  I'd try the Ubuntu install first, but
if that doesn't work (Ubuntu wouldn't install on my machine), then go with
Debian.  I tried yellow dog, and it had trouble working with my ATI video
card, though that may not be an issue on a newer G5 machine.  I did try
running mythfrontend on OS X, but it just couldn't keep up on my eMac.  It
worked fine with .20.2, but when .21 came out, the new version of
mythfrontend seemed to use more resources, and that's when I switched to
Debian.

Good luck!