No subject

Sat Jun 21 03:26:05 UTC 2008

HD-PVR and the recordings made by it from the very earliest days, anything
less than that is going to have trouble at the maximum capture bitrate.
 This has been the experience across the board of those of us working with
the HD-PVR in linux.  John or Janne may be able to add their voices to this
discussion, but as we've all being experiencing the same, and have seen the
same in dealing with most of the HD-PVR users in linux thus fair, I think
it's fair to trust our experience.  It's tough to let go of the notion that
resolution and bitrate are the primary factors in playback ease, as this has
been generally true for a long time.  the HD-PVr, however, is a great
illustrator of the fact that with modern codecs, encoding options have just
as much, if not far more bearing on playability.

Robert

------=_Part_2448_9163219.1218644224961

that are *substantially* more difficult to play than any other h.264 we hav=
e encountered before. &nbsp;It is far far far harder to play than, for exam=
ple, a 40 Mbit/s h.264 ripped straight from a Blu-ray disk. &nbsp;The prima=
ry reason for the difficulty, as I have already mentioned, is that the HD-P=
VR encodes single sliced, making it presently impossible to multithread the=
 playback under Linux. &nbsp;<div>
div>A 13.5 Mbit/s HD-PVR capture =3D single sliced, PAFF + Spatial Direct m=
ode, complex encoding options. &nbsp;Uses only one core, 3.0 or so Ghz need=
ed without CoreAVC.</div>
 PAFF, simple encoding options. &nbsp;Multithreadable, usually a 2.2-2.4 Gh=
om experience, and speaking as someone who has been working with the HD-PVR=
 and the recordings made by it from the very earliest days, anything less t=
han that is going to have trouble at the maximum capture bitrate. &nbsp;Thi=
s has been the experience across the board of those of us working with the =
HD-PVR in linux. &nbsp;John or Janne may be able to add their voices to thi=
s discussion, but as we&#39;ve all being experiencing the same, and have se=
en the same in dealing with most of the HD-PVR users in linux thus fair, I =
think it&#39;s fair to trust our experience. &nbsp;It&#39;s tough to let go=
 of the notion that resolution and bitrate are the primary factors in playb=
ack ease, as this has been generally true for a long time. &nbsp;the HD-PVr=
, however, is a great illustrator of the fact that with modern codecs, enco=
ding options have just as much, if not far more bearing on playability.</di=
v>

------=_Part_2448_9163219.1218644224961--