No subject

Sat Jun 21 03:26:05 UTC 2008

streams, which was a drawback in the past.

However, just like satellite, it will require a tuner box on every single TV
afaik.  We're one of those households that have 4 televisions because it's
so easy to plug in a cable-ready tv to analog cable.  I will miss being able
to do that, and have thought about odd video distributions schemes, wireless
radio remotes, etc. to get all the tvs working again (thought of course not
all at the same time).  Someday analog cable will go away as well, I'm sure.

At best I'm thinking one dedicated box for the mythbackend, which means only
one recording at a time from uverse.  Thankfully most of what we record is
available OTA and the HDHomerun serves that purpose.  But how many boxes
does uverse "rent you"?  Are boxes available commercially in stores, etc?
Those are the sort of details I'm hoping to hear from people as well.

Thanks!
- Willy

------=_Part_85537_13925514.1222270837841

A representative came today trying to sell me AT&amp;T&#39;s uverse plan. If I<br>
had not already built a pretty expensive MythTV machine (4 320 GB HDDs<br>
in a RAID 5, AMD X2 4200+, 1 GB RAM, 2 pcHDTV 5500 tuners, 1 Hauppauge<br>
PVR-150), I would have switched on the spot (its 4 digital streams,<br>
faster Internet, and lower price are all improvements over WOW). While<br>
talking with the representative, however, I learned that the uverse<br>
service uses IPTV, receiving only the requested channels on demand<br>
instead of all of them as most cable companies do today. In my mind,<br>
this is a much more scalable, intelligent approach to broadcasting<br>
television and I view it as a step forward.<br>
That said, it also seems like it should be possible to tune these<br>
channels directly without the need for a uverse set-top box, by<br>
mirroring the same protocol. I suppose the problem then is that the<br>
received stream is probably still encoded, which doesn&#39;t really get us<br>
anywhere. The other alternative, of course, is to connect the MythTV<br>
backend to the set-top box, but is there a way to tune more than one<br>
channel at a time? So my initial question is: Has anyone had any<br>
success with MythTV and uverse? If not, what are the best options in<br>
the midwest (Columbus, OH), where my choices seem to be WOW, Time<br>
Warner, and this new uverse?<br>
I&#39;ve had this wonderful machine just sitting here for several months<br>
because I haven&#39;t bothered to set it up -- there just seems to be no<br>
easy way to get all the channels I want in HD while being able to<br>
tune/record multiple channels at once. It seems the closest I can get<br>
is to have WOW or Time Warner, have the two 5500s hooked up to the<br>
coax, and have the PVR-150 (along with an IR blaster) hooked up to the<br>
set-top box, but then I can&#39;t get channels like ESPNHD, TNTHD, and<br>
STARZ ondemand in HD. Does anyone have any better-working<br>
configurations?<br>
Alternatively, if I can&#39;t get something suitable working, is anyone<br>
interested in some great MythTV hardware? ;-)<br>
Thanks,<br>
Brandon<br>