[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Sat Mar 1 21:33:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:15:17PM -0800, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> So i'm wondering...why did you start to use myth...
>
> 1. was it because you heard about myth, so you learned to use linux so you
> could run myth,
> 2. was it because you like linux so you then went and used myth,
> 3. or was it because you don't like microsoft, so that's why you're in
> linux, and hence, why you chose myth?
>
> I'm a 1-er myself. I like that myth gives me the customization I like and
> that I can add frontends to it which microsoft mce doesn't let you do as far
> as i know. So i've learned quite a bit about linux during this myth
> process...still a work in progress.

I appear to be the first 3.

In 1994, I was badly burnt by Microsoft software for the last time. I
promised myself that I would not buy any software for myself that did
not have source available for me to look at and potentially fix.

That pretty much determined my career path: Linux and BSD sysadmin,
network engineer, general IT handyman. Now I run IT for a small software
services company.

I make exceptions for appliances -- microwaves and cars and TiVos... but
when it came time to consider an upgrade for our Series 1 TiVo, I decided
to build a MythTV. I wanted multiple tuners, expansion on my own terms,
DVD burning, and a reasonable path to HDTV.

And even though Apple annoys me a lot, I consider their software
engineering to be on a significantly higher quality level than
Microsoft's.

-dsr-

subversive content by DHS, and is
believed to be treasonous Commie propaganda.