[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 04:43:14 UTC 2008

On 3/1/08, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

> This is somewhat of a poll question. I'm just curious to see what peoples'
> answers are.
>
> I have seen so much hatred among linux users against microsoft (and rarely
> against Apple, who to me seems worse). Some of the complaints I understand
> and sometimes agree with, but sometimes it seems that linux people have real
> hatred towards Microsoft...like really really bad hatred.
>
> So i'm wondering...why did you start to use myth...
>
> 1. was it because you heard about myth, so you learned to use linux so you
> could run myth,
> 2. was it because you like linux so you then went and used myth,
> 3. or was it because you don't like microsoft, so that's why you're in
> linux, and hence, why you chose myth?
>
> I'm a 1-er myself. I like that myth gives me the customization I like and
> that I can add frontends to it which microsoft mce doesn't let you do as far
> as i know. So i've learned quite a bit about linux during this myth
> process...still a work in progress.
>
> -Thanks
> -Steve

# 2 for me. I was familiar with Linux, interested in having a DVR
without the monthly fee, and I cobbled together spare hardware and
bought TV cards with "fun money" from gifts, etc. The whole idea for
the project from my perspective was a low cost DVR just because it was
available. Along the way I have learned a lot about several Linux
distros and also about the lengths I will go to in order to get it all
working! For my next Myth box, I am willing to spend some "real" money
but it will still be better than handing it over to the cable company
as a monthly fee for schedule data.

Fred

P.S. You folks are the best support team around, and another reason I
am glad I took the plunge!