[mythtv-users] Best Remote to use

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 15:07:07 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:18 AM, Justin Johnson
<justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Justin Gibson wrote:
>
> Hello all!
>
>  I got the Hauppauge MCE-500 with the black RC6 remote....it has VERY
> limited functions and I dislike it.
>
>  What remote would be the best for "ONE TOUCH" functions? Like say there is
> a Record button, a Guide button, a Fast Foward button etc. etc.
>
>  Ideas? Comments? Insults? Thanks in advance!
>

>  I absolutely love the TiVo "peanut" remote. I had to build a homebrew
> receiver to get it to work (didn't work w/ the receiver on my pvr-350) but
> it has great functionality for most basic pvr functions. If you edit
> cutlists and such then it probably won't work so great but if you want it
> for the guide and playback functions then it's great. I did have to make my
> own config for it since I couldn't find one online, though there may be one
> now, so if you're willing to put in a little bit of work then it's a great
> remote.

That's what I'm using.  They're so cheap on ebay I have an extra one
for another end table :D.

I got lazy and bought this serial receiver:

http://www.irblaster.info/receiver.html?gclid=CN-6gpn-yYsCFSY3YQoddS2D_g

By the way, there actually is a config with lirc that works with that:

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/philips/TIVO34

One thing I love about that remote is that, once you're used to it,
you can feel all the buttons and use it without looking (or in the
dark).  I just love those things.  You may have to get a little
creative with button assignments, and it probably isn't for someone
who wants to do everything under the sun with their remote...but for
every day stuff they're great.

Tom