[mythtv-users] QAM Decrypt?

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Sun Mar 2 17:53:13 UTC 2008

> Is there currently even any Windows cablecard device that's not
> totally crippled with DRM or the like...or even one that is?  The
> Cable Card Host Interface License Agreement specifically forbids
> making decrypted content available "on any user accessible bus".  That
> tells me that there simply will never be such a device that will work
> with open source.  Even under Windows, I can't quite imagine how it
> could work.  It certainly couldn't place decrypted video files on your
> hard drive.
>
> That's probably why most cablecard devices (like the Sony DHG-HDD500 I
> sold after I built my myth system) don't allow you to access the files
> in any way.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, this is one I've always put deep in the
> "don't hold your breath" category.

There is currently a Dell XPS model available with a totally-crippled-with
DRM dual cablecard tuner, and apparently a Sony 17" laptop.
http://gizmodo.com/tag/cablecard/

You can't buy a Windows cablecard device (as in tuner card) separately
because CableLabs (aka Hollywood) says so, and they have to certify each
model (complete system) to be totally crippled with DRM before letting it be
sold to the consumer.