[mythtv-users] QAM Decrypt?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 2 19:50:36 UTC 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:

> You also gotta love how the cable companies also depend on all this to
> control their premium content _and_ to force you into using their
> equipment.  Pretty convenient for everyone except the consumer isn't
> it?
>
> I'm amazed at how much of this sort of crap most of the public is
> willing to accept these days.  I certainly don't.

Most members of "the public" are not aware of any alternatives to what
is offered by the cable companies et al.

Just as most PC users are not aware of any alternative to Windows.

The "free" (as is gratis) aspect of OSS software is also foreign to
most users. Many times I have shown a Windows user something like
OpenOffice, which they seem very pleased with, until they hear it is
"free". "Anything free must be worth the cost" seems to be a common
feeling among those used to Microsoft-type stuff. (The "libre" aspect
of OSS is totally unknown and apparently unknowable to most).

In order to prefer a better solution you must first be aware of it.
People on this list are aware of the alternatives, but we are a tiny
minority of the market the cable companies depend on for their income.

beww