[mythtv-users] which harddisk for storing media ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 3 16:14:27 UTC 2008

On Mar 3, 2008, at 9:01 AM, John Drescher wrote:

>> Sorry, I shouldn't kid like that.
>>
> LOL. :)
>>
>> I know the rubber mountings on one of my Antec cases seem to make a
>> real difference.
>>
> That was exactly what I was talking about. For desktops, Antec cases
> with an 120mm 1500 rpm exhaust fan and slow fans all around can really
> make a quite machine. Well at least for my 36 year old ears...

One problem with fans of any size is that they eventually fail,
usually preceded by a period of much noise.

I see most manufacturers are cheaping out with sleeve bearing fans
these days. I would have no problem paying more for a good quality
ball bearing fan, but they can be hard to find. The makers seem to
think this is the best place to save a buck or two (well, after they
put the cheapest power supply they can find in the case).

Probably because gamers like to brag about their CPU or graphics card,
but you rarely hear them boasting "my fan has ball bearings".

beww

beww